Family Sponsorship

Once you are settled in Canada and become a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you are eligible to sponsor your close relatives provided you meet the criteria as set by the CIC. The eligible categories are:


common-law or conjugal partner, or
dependent children


In addition to the above you can also sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a permanent resident. This requires you to demonstrate that you have enough resources to be in a position to take care of your own essential needs and those who you are applying to sponsor. The responsibility lies entirely on the sponsor for supporting your parent or grandparent financially when they land in Canada. An added responsibility is to ensure that they will not seek social assistance from the government.


As a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and at least 18 years old, you may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate under the Family Class.


If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:

be able to meet basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for yourself and your relative,
support your relative financially when he or she arrives, and
make sure your spouse or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government.


We help you to determine your eligibility for sponsorship, assist you with the application process and ensure that all documentation is submitted according to the requirements of CIC and update you with the developments.


For residents of Quebec the conditions are slightly different and eligibility criteria will be determined according to Quebec requirements